Motherhood is a beautiful experience. But it is also painful, stressful, and tiring, especially if it’s her first child. It takes a village to raise a newborn. During the first few days, the mother tries to adjust to her new lifestyle. She goes through a rollercoaster of changes, both physically, and mentally as well as emotionally.
This is also the time when family and friends would want to visit the mother and meet her bundle of joy. With a lot on her plate, a new mom would not know what to tell you when you visit her. Therefore, here are a few things a new mom would want you to know.
- She’ll not entertain you: It is overwhelming and tiring during the first few weeks for a new mother. She will appreciate you visiting her, but you must not expect entertainment in return. Her body is recovering and she needs more rest and time with her baby. Therefore, you should not expect to be showered with her attention while you are visiting. She may not even be able to hold a conversation but she will be happy to see you. And while you are there, make sure to ask how she is doing, besides asking about the baby.
- Don’t just show up: One of the most important things to remember is that both the mother and baby are trying to figure out a schedule for themselves. It is a really tough job to do so because she is new to the baby language. Therefore, make sure you ask beforehand when is the right time for you to visit. She will appreciate it so much. Also, be prepared to reschedule, because as mentioned earlier, they’re trying to figure things out.
- Don’t expect her to hide while breastfeeding: While breastfeeding, a mother wants to nest in the most comfortable corners of the house. It can be her bedroom or the couch in the living room. Don’t expect her to hide when she needs to breastfeed the baby. If you feel uncomfortable, move to another room or you can take that as a cue to take your leave.
- She will always appreciate food: New moms are famished most of the time, especially if she is breastfeeding. If you are planning on bringing her some food, please do so. There is almost no time for her to cook. She’ll always appreciate and love it. To make it even better, ask her beforehand what she would like to eat.
- Avoid bringing in germs: A mother is super protective about her baby. Make sure to be mindful of germs. If she lets you hold her baby, wash your hands first. There are a lot of things for a mother to worry about, you must not contribute to it. You would not want to introduce a newborn to something that can easily be avoided. If you are sick or have been sick a few days before, don’t visit her at all. All you will do is put the baby and the mother at risk.
- Don’t comment about anything: She is going to look tired, not very well dressed. There might be dishes in the sink and the house may not look perfectly kept. But don’t comment about it. She is aware of it and pointing things out will make her self-conscious and regret her decision of inviting you over. If anything, help her out. Ask her what you can do to make it easy for her. Offer to do small things like putting things in place or folding the laundry. She’ll appreciate the effort, even if she turns down the offer.
- Don’t be pushy about holding the baby: A new mom may be reluctant about letting you hold her baby. Don’t be forceful about it. Being pushy will make her irritable and annoyed, and you don’t want to be hated by the mother on your first visit. In case you are allowed to hold the baby and it starts crying, give it back to the mother. She would want to comfort the baby herself.
- She needs to be appreciated: There are not many moments when a mother is praised. If anything she is always reminded of things she can do better. Therefore always remember to appreciate her. Remind her that she is doing an amazing job. A little encouragement can go a long way.
- She won’t tell you when it’s time to leave: She is tired and has a baby to take care of. It’s a lot more than just feeding and changing diapers. She might not be able to tell you when it’s time to leave. Therefore, be considerate and keep your visit short.
Apart from all the love and happiness, motherhood brings a lot of changes in the life of the mother as well as the whole family. New babies are cute and lovely, but they are also a lot of work. A new mother will always appreciate your small efforts and considerations shown towards her. Make sure you are understanding of her situation and that she is recovering.
You can also bring her something special like a small gift. Shop at our online store as there are plenty of items a mother will appreciate. In between the happiness and joy surrounding the baby, don’t forget that the mother also needs the same attention, care, and love.
If you as a mother would like to add to the above-mentioned points or want to share your experience feel free to do so in the comments section below.