Months are spent on shopping and collecting the best outfits for your toddler, but is an outfit even complete without a good pair of footwear? Finding the best fitting shoes for your baby is one of the most difficult parts of creating a cute outfit. The right shoe size is good for correct foot development and protection as your baby starts to explore the world. Read ahead to explore our guide to purchasing footwear for your little one:
- Measuring your baby’s foot size:
The trickiest part while looking for baby shoes is getting the perfect measurements. You can either use a ruler or get a baby shoe size chart printed out to help with the measurement process.
- Using a ruler: To measure your toddler’s foot size using a ruler, place the ruler (0 CMS/FTS. mark) at their heel and measure up to the big toe. Make sure that your baby’s toes are not curled. After the length, measure the width. To make this process easy, you can even draw your little one’s foot on a piece of paper.
- Using a printed size chart: It’s much easier to use a printed size measurement chart than a ruler. Just make sure that you get the sizes according to different shoe size systems.
- Checking the shoe size chart:
Now you have measured your baby’s shoe size and are ready to purchase a cute pair for them. However, make sure to check the shoe size chart of the brand you are going for. Just like adult footwear sizes vary from brand to brand, baby footwear sizes do, too. Also, some brands differentiate shoe sizes for toddlers based on age group. Therefore, pre-checking the company’s size chart will save you from the hassle of the exchange/return process.
- Tests for size check:
After making the purchase and getting the shoes for your little one, it’s time you put them on them. To make sure that the shoes are comfortable for your baby, look out for these three things:
- The toe: After putting the shoes on, gently press the tip of the shoe to check if there is enough space for your baby’s toe
- The pinky: Most of the time a shoe fits perfectly and even provides enough space for the toe, but your little one’s pinky gets tightly pressed due to less width. Thus, make sure to check their pinky toe.
- Visual test: Remove the shoes after some time and see if it’s leaving any marks on their foot. If it does, get a bigger size.
- What to avoid?
Even after all this hard work, a few minor errors can make a big impact on your toddler’s foot development. Therefore you should avoid:
- Hand-me-downs: Shoes get molded according to the baby who wears them. Therefore, the hand-me-downs you receive would also be molded according to the baby who wore them, which would make them an inappropriate fit for your baby.
- Check shoe size regularly: Keep an eye on your little ones’ shoe size as they grow fast. Thus, to make sure that the shoes still fit, do monthly checks.
- Go for a bigger size: At times the shoe size will fall between the sizes on the chart. In such cases, always go for a bigger size as your baby’s foot size will soon increase.
Taking all these points into consideration will surely prove helpful for you to get the right shoes for your little one. There is no joy in getting shoes that don’t really fit your toddler’s feet. You can take a look at our online store, where we provide great designs, perfect fits, and well-crafted shoes that suit your baby the best.