As you prepare for the arrival of your little bundle of joy, you may often find yourself wondering “What does a baby really need?”
To answer that question, your newborn baby won’t be needing a whole lot, aside from some essentials. Of course, if you go to a baby gear store to ask for suggestions, they will tell you quite the opposite, leaving you with the assumption that you need to buy everything under the sun when it comes to baby essentials.
It may seem tricky as you’d want to be as prepared as possible before the arrival of your little one. However, shopping for essentials for your baby isn’t all that complicated. We have drawn up a handy baby essentials checklist for your newborn to help you ensure that your baby has everything they need when you bring them home.
Breastfeeding: Whether you choose to breastfeed or bottle-feed your baby, here are a few nursing essentials you’d want to keep handy:
- Nursing clothes and essentials: Choosing clothes with light fabrics can be helpful for nursing mothers. You must also buy good quality nursing bras and loose tops with buttons to allow breastfeeding. We also recommend getting breast pads to soak up the excess leakage during your nursing days, along with some nipple cream.
- Breast pump: There are two kinds of breast pumps that are available for nursing mothers, an electric breast pump and a manual breast pump. You can choose either, based on your needs and preferences.
- Steriliser: If you choose to bottle-feed your baby, you will need to frequently sterilise their pacifiers and bottles until they’re over a year old. Studies have shown that electric sterilisers can kill up to 99.9% of germs and keep your baby safe from any infections.
- Feeding bottles: Feeding bottles come in different materials, namely plastic, glass, and silicone. You can buy the one that suits your baby. Ensure that the bottles are made of good quality material and are built to endure high temperatures.
- Bibs and burp cloths: Your little one might spit up often during their feedings. Bibs and burp cloths come in handy and help keep your and your baby’s clothes from getting spoiled.
Bedding & Furniture: While it is recommended that the baby sleeps with you during the initial months, there are parents who have dedicated nurseries in their homes for their baby. Either way, you will be needing these sleeping essentials to ensure your baby’s safe, happy, and comfortable nap times.
- Mattress & Bed: You can choose from a variety of bed types for your baby to sleep in. Whether you choose a cot, a crib, a bassinet, a cradle, or a co-sleeper, make sure the bed is perfectly installed and safe for your baby to nap in. When buying a mattress for the bed, make sure it’s firm, and not too fluffy to avoid any suffocation for your baby in case they toss and turn in the night.
- Blankets and sheets: It is recommended that you use light sheets and tuck them in properly. Ensure that the blankets you buy for your newborn are lint-free and breathable.
- Baby monitor: If you plan to have your baby sleep in their nursery, it’s recommended that you invest in a top-quality baby monitor in order to keep an eye on your little one. Make sure that the monitor is rechargeable, durable, and has a long battery life.
Changing and bathing essentials: Diapering and bathing essentials are the basic essentials that will pop right into your mind when you hear the word “baby”. Here’s what you’ll be needing:
- Diapers: You may want to stock up on these well in advance, to avoid running to the store later on. We recommend choosing disposable diapers like our Quick Absorb Pants that leave your baby’s skin soft, dry, fresh, and free from rashes. These diaper pants have triple lock side cuffs to avoid any leakage, and a 3x absorption layer to ensure maximum dryness.
- Baby wipes: Cleaning your baby’s bum before putting on a fresh diaper is a hygienic practice you must follow to prevent risk of infection or rashes. The wipes will leave your baby’s skin fresh, clean, and moisturized.
- Baby bath essentials: Head to our website and choose from a wide range of our All We Know range of bathing essentials for your baby, such as bubble bath, baby lotion, shampoo, body wash, hair oil, etc. All our products are made with natural extracts, designed to clean, protect, and moisturize your baby’s delicate skin and hair.
- Changing mat: When it comes to protecting your sheets and linens from getting stained while changing your baby’s diapers, changing mats are the perfect solution. They are easy to clean and come in handy if you plan to travel with your little one.
While there are a few more things you would want to keep handy before your baby arrives, this baby essentials checklist should be helpful to get you started. There’s a lot to do when preparing for their arrival and it can be overwhelming. All you need is to stay calm, get organized and make checklists. Tick off one task at a time, and you’ll be ready before you know it.