Who doesn’t like a baby with chubby cheeks and some playful wrist rolls? We moms do! The moment we turn into mothers, it becomes our life’s mission to feed our newborns and turn them into an adorable ball of fat and joy.
Although baby fat is healthy to a certain extent, if not kept in check it can cause serious health concerns in the long run.
However, we have got you covered. Don’t fret as there are a few steps you can take as a parent to ensure that your baby maintains a healthy weight:
- Don’t feed your child every time he or she cries it out: Babies cry a lot! Sometimes because they are sleepy, tired or just overwhelmed but remember every call for help is not because they are hungry. So, avoid feeding them every time they cry, this turns into a habit that leads to overfeeding.
- Your baby’s got to move: Healthy habits should be inculcated at an early age itself. Encourage simple movements like crawling, tummy tumbles, and sit-ups to help build and strengthen their mobility.
- Try to build an eating schedule: This may be hard initially but start by making sure that your baby sits with you for meals and matches your eating schedule. This will help build a routine and avoid eating at odd hours.
- Track your baby’s weight regularly: Regular charting is necessary to understand the growth and development of your baby and to monitor if a change in diet is required.
- Experiment from the start: Once the babies start eating solid food, they are more open to trying greens and other nutritious food. So, this is the right time to include fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains in their diet.
The above being said, there might be a big question mark in your head – “What is the healthy weight for my baby?” All babies grow differently, however, most healthy newborns double their weight by 4 months and triple it by their first birthday. In case of any major weight changes, it’s recommended to pay a visit to your paediatrician.
Also, feeding your baby can be a messy affair, so don’t forget to shop for bibs and burp cloths from Mothercare online to ensure a squeaky clean meal.