Road-tripping with your family, especially your babies, sounds like an adventure filled with fun, craziness, and chaos. It offers the perfect way to make a lifetime’s worth of memories that one can cherish forever. However, the first-ever road trip with your baby may seem a bit daunting, and in the present times of COVID-19, can demand extra caution and safety. Nevertheless, this must not stop you and your baby from taking that road trip which shall guarantee a fulfilling experience for both of you.
When it comes to taking a road-trip with a baby, one can always plan to the tee and still face challenges along the way. However, having a set of guidelines can act as your safety net in tough situations. Here are some tips to ensure you have a safe, sound, and smooth journey with your baby:
To a safe journey
It’s definitely more about the journey than the destination when it comes to road trips, but there are a few things you can’t rush while travelling with a baby. If you haven’t guessed it yet, yes we are talking about your baby’s safety.
- Use a rear-facing car seat until children are at least 2 years old or until they reach the height and weight limits of the car seat
- Be sure to follow the directions for attaching the seat and for strapping in your baby
- Always place the car seat in the back seat. This is the safest place for babies
- A rear-view baby mirror to keep an eye on the baby in case no one is accompanying the baby at the back
To a sound journey
Cranky baby means cranky mommy. Oh no! That doesn’t sound like a fun road trip. But, no worries as we have your back. Here are a few steps you can take to ensure your baby is well rested and entertained too:
- Play soft music or audiobooks with bedtime stories for your baby
- Increase the temperature in the car slightly to help them feel sleepy
- Try taking off for the trip when your baby has a full tummy and right before their nap time
- Plenty of toys. When we say plenty we mean it! We have to tire the little one so that you get some time to rest too
To a smooth journey
In order to ensure a smooth journey and avoid a panic situation, it’s important to pack all the following essentials for your baby.
- Sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, travel sterilizer, masks
- Diaper bag essentials like diapers, baby wipes, a changing pad and bags for dirty diapers
- Baby food ( Baby spoon / cutlery) and baby sipper
- Pumped milk
- Change of clothes, bibs, burping cloths
- First aid kit
The above should cover you and your family to have a joyous trip all in all. It’s an important checkpoint for you too as a mother, so don’t forget to have fun and carry your camera to capture every first of your baby, from his first car seat tantrum to his first “can I stay in this car forever” moment.
Shop car accessories from Mothercare online for a safe trip!
Happy trippin’ with your little one!